Tuesday 17 September 2013

In the beginning

Hello again! Thanks for coming back!
I guess I should probably tell everyone about how long I've been interested in photography for and a little about why I have begun this.. quest, into photography.
Being also very new to blogging, I'm struggling a little with how to even start this and explain! So I'll do my best. Sometime in the last 6 months, my interest in photography changed. I guess I should given you that standard line that most photographers probably say
:

"I've always been interested in photography, ever since I could hold a camera I was snapping everyone and everything I could!"etc.


I guess that's kind of true. My friends from university will certainly agree, and the 10,000 photos i've accumulated on facebook also backs this up. Before university I loved my disposable cameras. Especcially the underwater ones! Probably didn't take the best shots with those, but I sure had fun with them and I still have a suitcase of printed photos that i've brought with me to the 9 houses I've lived in, in the past ten years. At the age of 18, at university, was when I purchased my first digital camera. Thankfully, I bought insurance, as my ability to accidently break a camera was at it's peak, and I therefore worked my way through about 7 or 8 digital cameras. I've certainly learnt to look after my cameras a lot better since then, although I still buy insurance just in case. My cameras ranged from Canon, Nikon, Fujifilm and more, (other makes are available!) which gave me a flavour of what I liked best, and at the age of 24, I guess I just decided that it was something I wanted to take more seriously, and why not! So I made the decision that for my upcoming 25th birthday, with the help of friends and family, I was given enough money to purchase my first Digital Single Lens Reflex (DSLR) camera.

Choosing a beginners DLSR camera:
Making the step from a standard £60-80 digital camera to a DSLR camera was a big step for me. I wasn't sure where to begin, and I certainly didn't want to rush this decision as I planned to spend a few hundred pounds. I knew I wanted either Nikon or Canon- personal preference and for me, as much as it annoys my partner, I base a lot of my purchases on reviews by other people. And thats what I did. I spent a few months whilst saving and waiting for my birthday, reading review after review until I had narrowed it down to two. I figured there was no point going into Dixons etc and looking at them, because as a beginner, I wouldn't have known what I was looking for, and I'm one of those people that worries about looking silly in the shop! I also didn't want it to have looked obvious I didn't know what I was doing and end up getting sold a camera that wasn't right for me. So lots of reading later, I ended up with the Canon D600 and the Nikon D3200. Now it was time to go to the shop. I won't bang on about this for too long. I'm not writing this from the direction of "this is what should you do because I did it and now I'm a pro!" because that would be ridiculous. Many others may feel comfortable just heading to the shop and asking lots of questions, but I think as a beginner, it's easier to look online first. I think I'm starting to babble, so I'll get to the point: I bought the Nikon D3200, and so far, we're living happily ever after - see photo to illustrate happyness. This was my first blog about my quest to become... a photographer? We'll see. I'll pop some photos on the next blog of the fun i've had with it so far and you can see what you think.
Thanks for reading! :)
Alice Newton xxx




Please forgive the poor quality of the photo as obviously to take a  picture of me with my camera.. I cannot use this camera! And instead have an awful digital camera (I won't say which one!) to attempt a quick timed photo of me ...plus I've also just gotten out of bed. 

No comments:

Post a Comment